Wednesday, January 28, 2009

my first memory--money in the crib

so my first memory is a bit unusual...when I was in the 3rd or 4th grade I was asked to answer this same question...and when I thought and thought for most of the day trying to recall (and recall chronologically) so after awhile I started looking at pictures of me when I was very young. And one picture that I looked at caused me to recall the memory of the event. It was a picture of me, in a crib, holding a bunch of money. The only problem (not realized as a problem by me) was that I was only 11 months old.
I remember the scene, everything was fuzzy and lacked form. I was on my back and the sun was shining in from the window closest to my left foot and it was blurred into the brown rails of my crib; the money in my hands did not have its usual form but instead just looked like a green blob. It wasn't really a scene, but more of a picture that I remember...















The problem was that my teacher didn't believe me, she told me that it was impossible for me to remember that. The only reason I didn't take her word for it was because of the memory I had of the sun shining in. It was such a ordinary detail in the picture...the fact that the sun was shining in on me...that I highly doubt that I could have even recognized it in the picture to imagine it. And to add to that, I wasn't trying to make anything up in the first place anyways...I looked at a multitude of pictures from before that and my memory did not recall anything.
Regardless, I came up with another memory for the class project; me watching my dad watch football and me mimicking his reactions. It worked for the assignment, but I always thought that that first memory was genuine

No comments:

Post a Comment