Thursday, January 15, 2009

First day of class

try as I might I could not unearth what my last name means...and unfortunately I did not think finding out that meaning (if it exists because according to some of the sites I looked at some names don't mean squat!) was important enough for me to dive into that never-ending game of discovery and filing known as "genealogy."

My mom always tries to play that game with me...telling me what different ethnicities I am (German-French-Jewish--interesting combo). All in all, it doesn't really interest me. But I did want to find out what my last name means...I guess mainly just because it is such an important part of my identity. In an odd way, when you say "Meznarich" you mean me...in a sense anyways. And this name being so linked to me as a person, I suppose I simply wanted to understand where it came from, as if when I understood that it would lead to some sort of epiphany or at least provide an albeit weak explanation of me. I suppose I was taken up for a minute with the romantic notion that my name might mean something stoic or simply cool.
But unfortunately I couldn't find anything, and I think I'm okay with that.
I am an English major, so I'll just steal that maxim "what's in a name" and call this blog done.

1 comment:

  1. JULIET
    ... What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title.

    Romeo and Juliet
    Act II scene II

    http://shakespeare.mit.edu/romeo_juliet/romeo_juliet.2.2.html

    ReplyDelete